This page is under construction, content will be added over coming months.
- LAB RIS barrel project May 2014
- LAB Belgian quad aged in bourbon barrel
- LAB English Barleywine
- 1848 Barclay Perkins Imperial Brown Stout
Sour/funky beers brewed
Sour/funky beers in the pipeline
I currently have 4 wine barrels that will soon be getting filled with a range of sour beers, updates will be posted via the main blog stream.
Information regarding barrels and sour beers
Information in the UK relating to barrel aging and funky beers is a bit thin on the ground at the home brew level, the aim here is to outline sources of information that I have found and also hopefully report on the progress I make on several barrel aged beers over the coming months – and dare i say years.
- The Sour Hour – Brewing Network
- Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow – available on amazon
- Brewing network pod cast – Sunday session – search for Russian River
- Brewing network pod cast – The Jamil Show – search for sour beers
- The Mad Fermentationist – Lots of information
- American Sour Beers by Micheal Tonsmeire
- Information on yeast strains form White Labs and Wyeast
- Various Facebook groups
Where to find oak barrels, there is always lucky dip on ebay, just search for oak barrel and there are a fair few on offer mainly ex distillery barrels and red wine barrels, these can all be a bit hit and miss so if possible have a look before buying. Another option is the Speyside Cooperage, barrels are slightly more expensive but in much better condition.
Here is a pic of the two barrels ordered from Speyside Cooperage, a Bourbon and Whiskey.
The whisky barrel is being used in the LAB RIS barrel project May 2014
The bourbon barrel will be getting a Belgian Quad in a 2nd LAB barrel project