A small batch artisan brewery is the way i like to think of Retribution brewing . High quality, hand made on a nano scale (in brewery terms) using traditional methods – although maybe to much stainless! The aim being to use the best ingredients to create the best beer possible – it is all about the beer!
When i first started brewing like most i was interested in brewing big American style IPA’s (i guess i still am) but over the last 3 years i have developed a taste for more complex mixed fermentation/sour beers and wood aged beers. I am also in the lucky position where i can spend a lot of time and energy brewing, developing beers and recipes. I also have access to a wide range of equipment as well as a growing collection of ex distillery and wine barrels to experiment with.
I am also studying for a MSc in Brewing and Distilling from Heriot Watt part time, this is alongside my main job – working in the oil and gas industry, which admittedly is pretty high up on the scale of evil, although in my opinion behind bankers, pay day lenders and politicians – hence the name Retribution brewing! You may like to know that the Retribution brewing is powered by 100% renewable energy and always will be!
I have finally realised that i have been living in denial for the last 18 months, i have said to everyone that asked that i won’t start a commercial brewery, however in reality i already have one the only problem is that at 130L its not big enough – i think i need to start saving!
Below is a few results from competitions i have entered since i started brewing in 2012.
- London and Southeast, Strong Beers, Retribition DIPA – Silver medal (best DIPA at show)
- Welsh National Homebrew Competition, Brown and Porter,Retribution American Porter – Bronze medal
- UKNHC, American Strong Ale, Retribution DIPA – Gold medal
- Selected to represent the UK in the 2016 MoBI European Homebrew Competition
- London and Southeast, Champion Brewer 3rd place
- London and Southeast, Fruit and Sour beers, Imp Cherryade – Gold medal
- London and Southeast, European stong beers, RIS 2014 Batch – Bronze medal
- London and Southeast, Belgian Beers, Retribution Dark Strong – 4th place
- London and Southeast, Wheats and Sasions, Table Sasion – Honerable Mention
- V. Hrvatsko homebrew Prvenstvo, Smoked and Wood, Retribution Barrel Aged Imp Brown Stout – Gold medal
- Welsh National Homebrew Competition, Smoked, Wood and Speaciatility, IBS to my friends – Gold medal
- Welsh National Homebrew Competition, Porter and Stout, RIS 2014 Batch – Honerable Mention
- UKNHC, Trappist Ale, Retribution Dark Strong – Gold Medal
National Homebrewing Awards, Bourbon aged Quad, What the judges thought: The judges noted that there were not too many vanilla notes, there were huge hits of bourbon and really chocolatey. It could have done with a little bit more dryness but it was very decadent. Richard from Magic Rock said ‘if this was one of our beers I’d expect to hear people rave about it.’! Score: 92/100
- London and Southeast, Peoples choice – Sasion
- London and Southeast, American Pale Ale, Ritribution Pale Ale – Silver medal
- London and Southeast, French and Belgian Ales, Retribution Saison – Bronze medal
- London and Southeast, Larger and Kolsh, Retribution Pilsener – 4th
- London and Southeast, Wheat, sour, Fruit beers, Sour Cherry Barleywine – 4th
- IV. Hrvatsko homebrew prvenstvo, Bourbon barrel aged Quad – 4th
- Black Friday LSE Home brew comp, Black IPA, Imperial Black Rye IPA – Gold medal and 2nd in BoS
- London and Southeast, Mild brown and Porter category, EIP – Silver medal
- London and Southeast, American Ale, CNA Pale – Honorable mention
- London and Southeast, Peoples choice, EIP
- UKNHC, IPA category, Retribution IPA – Gold Medal
- UKNHC, Stout, Retribution RIS – Gold Medal
- London and Southeast, IPA category, Hop You IPA – Gold medal
- St Austell Proper Job Clone competition winner